FAQ - Commissions

Commission painting and scratch building is something I do on a regular basis. Send me a mail to kennethlonnberg@gmail.com and if you have a commission you want me to take a closer look at.

Frequently asked questions:

Q: I want to commission you since I have this crazy idea that no one has ever thought of! How do we get started?
A: Until I have an inkling of what the idea entails it is hard to say. Scratch builds in particular can be rather difficult to assess without doing some research first. Always send me a message to get the ball rolling.

Q: How much does it cost to commission you?
A: A difficult question to answer as most commissions vary from each other in at least some way. However, I do not charge hourly, but rather on a case by case basis. For instance, let's say you want me to heavily convert the iconic Star Wars Lambda shuttle. If I want $10 for that request then I will stick to that no matter if it takes 1 or 100 hours to complete the job.

Q: You are going to need some models to paint, can I send you some of mine?
A: Of course you can! The only other method is that I buy the models for you though that will obviously incur an extra cost for you which will be included in the price tag for the commission.

Q: How do I pay and what currencies do you accept?
A: Paypal is the preferred method though I have no doubt other methods could be used if you request it. As for currencies, I'm pretty sure that I can accept any currency, though US Dollars, GB Pounds or Euro are by far the most commonly used. Payment itself is usually done in two parts, 60% when the commission is started and the remaining 40% when the project is completed.

Q: We have reached an agreement, what happens next?
A: I will give you an estimate on when I plan for the commission to start. About two to three weeks before the given date I will contact you again to confirm if you still want the commission to proceed. If yes, we can start discussing the finer details of the project and when the time has come to start, you will need to send the first payment.

Q: This is so exciting, I can't wait to see the result!
A: Luckily you don't have to spend all your nights quivering in excitement. During the painting process I will periodically mail you pictures as well as ask questions on how to proceed on certain details and subjects. When the project is complete I will also notify you when I have high-quality studio pictures available for viewing.

Q: So you have finally completed my commission. Time to pack the stuff in a box and ship it to me I presume?
A: Indeed you are correct. Now the postage cost will already have been included as an estimate in the commission price tag, but until I'm finished packing it all, it can be extremely difficult to give an accurate quote. This is one on the reasons why I insist on a split payment method as it allows me to modify the final price to better fit the actual postage cost. As for shipping method, I always try to use a trackable method that includes some kind of insurance. 


Levels:

I offer painting in what can be described as four levels.

Level 0 - Modification: Basically making additions or modifications to an already existing paint job. This is mostly only applicable to X-wing and Armada models as they come painted from the factory. In the example below, only the windows and the engine glow has been painted, the rest is stock.

Click for more examples

Level 1 - Basic: A 'level 1' paintjob gives you the base colours and shading. While seemingly simple, most people are perfectly happy with this level of detail.

Click for more pictures

Level 2 - Advanced: You get everything included in level 1 as well as a full set of highlights and a greater care taken with all details. 

Click for more pictures

Level 3 - Special: This is for those truly special paint jobs that really stand out, like highly detailed free hand designs, Non Metallic Metal, Object Source Lightning and similar. 



Click for more pictures

Remember that these are only guidelines and can easily cross over into each other. For example it would be entirely possible to paint a big free hand design on an otherwise stock Lambda shuttle which technically makes it Level 0 and Level 3 at the same time.

Commission status:
If the green light is lit it means that I'm free to take on commissions within a short amount of time, usually no more than a few weeks.

The yellow light means that you might have to wait a few months before I'm free to accept your commission, though there might be openings in my schedule.

Unfortunately, red means the waiting time is at least half a year. Of course, if you are prepared to wait that long then feel free to send me a message.