Thursday 20 September 2018

Leopard Gecko

This is one of the stranger things I've done. It's a paper craft model of a leopard gecko, however instead of using paper I've used  plasticard. You can thank my niece for this particular project.






While I have no blood ties to the girl in question I do pretty much consider her family. And when she asked me this summer to build her a cute lizard of some kind, how could I possibly resist?

At first I balked at the idea, the kind of stuff I build is generally rather angular and lack organic shapes. But then I remembered about paper craft models and figured that I might be able to adapt such a model to my method of building things.

Of course, it's not quite as simple as just replacing paper with plasticard. Thin plasticard is necessary, particulary 0.13 and 0.25 mm thick. And even then, the bending needed to get the proper shapes put quite a lot of stress on the plasticard. Despite the problems, I do consider the experiment a success as should be obvious from the pictures.

I found this particular model here and extra kudos to the creator who goes by the name Ayumu Saito. My hat is off to you!





No comments:

Post a Comment